Forest Fire Recovery Resources
The recent Beachie Creek and Lionshead forest fires had a devastating impact on communities in the Santiam Canyon. The Home Builders Association has assembled these resources to assist homeowners preparing to rebuild homes lost to the fires.
Scam artists often try to take advantage of homeowners during the rebuilding phase following a disaster. Protect yourself by knowing the warning signs of a scam, and hire a reputable contractor who can provide referrals.
- Only use a licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB). Make sure to check their license number with the CCB to verify they have a license and check their complaint history.
- Get more than one bid in writing that includes the scope of work to be done, a rough timeline, materials to be used, costs and a payment schedule.
- Don't automatically accept the lowest bid, especially if it's significantly lower than other bids you've received.
- Be wary of a contractor who requires payment in full before work can begin. Reputable contractors may require a deposit up front, but will bill for progress during construction or after completion of the job.
- Ask for references. A reputable contractor will have local references of past customers they've done work for. Call these references to make sure these past customers had a good experience with the contractor.
- Click here for the Home Builders Association of Marion & Polk Counties' list of licensed contractors accepting fire rebuild jobs in the Santiam Canyon.
Please contact us if you need assistance finding a contractor!